We’re all familiar with how a relay works, split everyone into teams and one at a time, the groups work through the task at hand – in this case, girls run to the other end of the gym and tie their ties – while the rest of the girls cheer and wait to for the tie-er to complete her task and get back to the group so the next girl can go.
Snowy Owl adds an “active wait” component to relays that are going to take a while. (We do a Ditty Bag Relay that goes really fast – there’s not enough time to even roll the dice.)
- Dice – 1 die per team
- Prepared Index cards(6 per group/team) – or card of some sort. Make enough sets for each team you plan to have. (I made mine out of different coloured file folders that I cut up, so we had a green, red, and purple team). Snowy Owl’s set of cards uses white index cards and she has printed the dots and actions in different coloured ink.
- You’ll print Dice numbers one one side of each card, and an action instruction on the other.
- Card 1 – Put 1 Dice dot on one side and “Jumping Jacks” on the other (make 3 or 4 – depending on # of teams)
- Card 2 – Put 2 Dice dots on one side and “Hop on one foot” on the other
- Card 3 – Put 3 Dice dots on one side and “Scissor Jumps” on the other (Scissors are like jumping jacks but with leg crosses)
- Card 4 – Put 4 Dice dots on one side and “Touch your toes then clap when you stand up” on the other
- Card 5 – Put 5 Dice dots on one side and “March in place and tap your nose” on the other
- Card 6 – Put 6 Dice dots on one side and “Lift one leg then clap underneath. Now the other leg!” on the other
- OR print this page and tape the text onto the cards.
Then the relay… on “GO”, the runner does her thing (tie a tie) while the rest of the group rolls the dice, picks the correct card, and does the action. When the runner completes her task and runs back, the next girl runs, and the team rolls the dice again. I think I’ll keep my new set in my regular Brownie Bag.